Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Get Ready for Kindergarten Month (August)



I remember the first day I had to take my child to Kindergarten. My husband went with me that way. I guess he knew I would need his support in watching such a big moment occur in my child's life. It was a sign that my little man was going to one day be a big man, that my child was growing up.

I didn't realize it was me that my husband had taken off work to support that day, until I watched my child go play with the other kids, and the teacher tell us everything was going to be fine. He would be ready to go home at 3:00 PM -- and I smiled and waved at my son and turned to leave.

As I walked down the hallway I found tears flowing down my face. My husband stayed by my side. We got in the car and went home and I cried like a baby.

Kindergarten. Many of us remember our very first day of school like it was yesterday.

I know I do. I even remember my first teacher. The year was 1973. My teacher was a beautiful black woman named Gloria Hinton. We all grew to love her. She died a year later in a routine surgery that went bad. I was blessed to have had her.

And, my son was blessed to have had his teacher, as well. He became her "little helper".

Do you have a Kindergarten story to share? We'd love to hear it in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!